Hi everyone, I've missed you! Last night was the packing party for our trip. As I mentioned in a previous post, 1 of our 2 pieces of luggage is devoted to 50 lbs. of medical supplies topped off with any orphanage supplies we could fit in. We met at a local hospital in one of their conference rooms. All of the tables in the conference room were filled with boxes and boxes full of medical supplies. The back portion of the room was filled with donated orphanage supplies with tons of donated shoes all over the floor. Our instructions were to work our way around the room filling up our duffel bags with primarily medical supplies and topped off with some orphanage supplies. A volunteer was there to weigh our bags and a coordinator was there to make sure all medical supplies were packed first. Well darned if we didn't pack EVERY piece of medical supplies, orphanage supplies and s'mores supplies for our "after" party at the orphanage! We rock!
It was a great meeting/party as I got to meet our medical director for the trip and more of the team. I also met the only other person who will be working at the orphanage with me; a husband of one of the nurses. The medical director took the first 30 minutes of the meeting to answer any questions we had and outlined our duties for the two of us at the orphanage which I learned will include lots of loving the kids, some soccer games, and some painting and maintenance thrown in. He made us all feel welcome and comfortable.
We were told to buy the XXXL duffel at REI as most medical supplies don't weigh much.
I weighed in at 45 lbs. and affixed the mandatory green ribbon denoting medical supply bag. Here it is sitting in the office at home waiting to leave in just 2 weeks!
I am feeling so blessed and I'm getting really, really, really, really excited!

No comments:
Post a Comment